Tuesday, 2 June 2015

30 Days Wild: Day 2, Bird-watching

It was Middle's turn to draw the wild challenge slip this morning... and Middle's turn to reject it and hunt for one that he preferred!  After some indecision he finally settled on bird-watching from the comfort of our sofa - this selection probably being influenced by the cold, wind and rain outside, plus the knowledge that when we join in with the RSPB's Big Garden Birdwatch" every January, we always do so with a mug of hot chocolate - marshmallows and squirty cream compulsory!  Eldest was dispatched to produce said hot chocolates, Youngest came and started watching with me while Middle finished what he was doing on the computer (learning about hurricanes, courtesy of Brainpop) before joining the rest of us.


We spent a very pleasant couple of half-hour shifts (one in the morning, one after lunch) watching the wildlife in the garden - not just birds, as the local squirrels were completely undeterred by the rain and kept us well entertained with their antics - hanging in all sorts of positions to get to the bird food, squabbling over the best spot, and occasionally posing for the camera...







 The bluetits and dunnocks were very visible...



We were also pleased to see our resident coal tit and nuthatch, as well as a family of fledgling great tits that came en masse to raid the fat balls...



 

 

Magpies are never far away (they love the dried food that I put out for hedgehogs), and there were plenty of pigeons around too, as well as mr & mrs blackbird, plus a jay that flew past too quickly for me to get a decent photo - a shame, as they are so striking.  Not to forget the crow that landed on next door's fence and promptly did a poo in their garden... that went down really well with the boys!







Of course, it wasn't just about the birds - my eagle-eyed lot also managed to spot some bees, beetles and a worm, that we had to go outdoors to take a photo of.






The boys all wrote down lists of the creatures that they spotted, although Youngest gave up writing after a while, preferring to just show me where to point my camera...




So, how did it make us feel?  Well, Eldest said it made him feel calm, Middle peaceful... and Youngest agreed, until I said that although it made me feel peaceful, it also made me feel frustrated at being cooped up indoors and I wanted to get out in it - upon which Youngest agreed with me too. That said, I do enjoy time spent observing our garden visitors, but as I don't often take the time to do so with camera in hand, it was a treat to take time to do so today.  I feel very blessed to live where we do, with so much richness around - here's hoping we can get back outside again tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment