Monday, 1 June 2015

30 Days Wild: Day 1, Cloud-spotting

At last, it's June, and time for 30 Days Wild! Youngest couldn't wait to draw out a slip from our "wild jar" this morning (as created at the weekend, see blog-post here, if you missed it)...


Strangely he wasn't inspired by the first challenge though - he obviously wasn't in the mood for pond-dipping!  Much as I am sure he and his brothers would enjoy it, I was happy for him to swap it for a different suggestion, which he took as carte-blanche to go through all the slips and choose his favourite!  He was tempted by a few, mostly those involving our own garden, so we agreed on cloud-watching, especially when we saw what a beautiful sunny day it was with a variety of pretty clouds in the sky...


We grabbed a few books on weather to take with us and help us identify which clouds we could see (this one by Robin Kerrod was the most helpful), and Eldest quickly found some cirrus, cirrocumulus and cumulonimbus - what a great selection!


We all lay on picnic rugs in the sunshine and looked out to see what shapes/ pictures we could spot in the clouds, while listening to peaceful birdsong, the bleating of sheep in the distance, and a funny squirrel chattering his complaints at us.   I took photos of the cloud shapes that we saw, and the boys drew pictures (although Youngest has sadly lost his sheet already!)...


Eldest's sketches


Middle's sketches 

When the boys were ready to come inside I printed off some of the photos I had taken so they could add the outines of their shapes.  We saw lots of amazing things (apologies for quality of second images as they are photos of photos - but you get the idea!)...

 a whale

 an alien spaceship

 a dolphin (my favourite)

 a mushroom

 a dog

 a crocodile

 a fire-breathing dragon

 and a viking longship

Afterwards, as per the challenge, I asked the boys how the cloud-watching made them feel.  Youngest said he felt relaxed, Middle peaceful, and Eldest calm.  I have to say, the combination of sunshine on our faces, birds chirping from the trees and wispy clouds scudding across the sky was indeed very soothing, and with three energetic boys in the house, anything that is conducive to serenity has to be an activity worth remembering!

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It really was! Thanks for taking the time to comment :)

      Delete
  2. Great post. I've stumbled across your blog via 30 Days Wild. I'm currently looking into Home Ed for my two boys (3.5 yrs and 8 mths!) so I'll be taking a look at your site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca! How exciting for you and your boys! Let me know if you need links to any local groups etc - always happy to help!

      Delete
  3. That's so cool! I love the outlines added to the photos, J regularly sees shapes in the clouds that I can't, so perhaps I need to take more photos :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel :) We had lots of fun, and definitely hope to repeat the experience :)

      Delete
  4. Fabulous! we are doing this aswell, and we home ed too! We will be dancing in the rain for our first day and feeling the wind in our hair, as we dont have the blue skies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mrs T! Hooray for home educators ;)
      Having seen the weather forecast I think it'll be our turn to dance in the rain tomorrow!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the inspiration. I think we'll give this idea a go for one of our 30 days. Looks like you all had a lovely, relaxing first day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angeline! It really was lovely and relaxing... here's hoping June stays that way! ;)

      Delete
  6. I'm totally stealing this idea! :D
    Came across your blog via 30 Days Wild and I'm so glad I did. I'm going to read it regularly. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura, what a lovely vote of confidence - hope you enjoy your wild times :)

      Delete