Wednesday, 3 September 2014

Me On The Map

When I was preparing this morning's activity last night it took quite a while, and I wasn't sure how well the boys would take to it... lots of fiddly drawing.  However, they spotted my 'example' and were intrigued, so that made for a nice bit of enthusiasm after Maths.


We started off reading "Me on the Map", which we all really liked, and it gave us lots of ideas (I think we'll return to it next week too).  Then I got out my pre-prepared activity.  It is a craft using concentric circles pinned together to show where the child lives: their house, their street, their town, county, country, continent and world.  I had seen it on Pinterest initially, but all the versions I found were American based (talking about what State you live in etc), and I couldn't find a UK version, so I made my own here.

It's really an activity for young children, so I was confident that Youngest would like it - and Middle.  I just wasn't sure if it was too simple for Eldest.  I let him decide for himself though, and I think it helped that he saw I had done it myself.  The lovely thing is that although I had prepared printed maps for the younger ones to cut out and stick on the right 'page', Eldest decided to take the more complex route of drawing the maps by hand - and he did a great job!

I printed off the sheets and the boys cut out their own circles...


Then they wrote and drew/ cut and pasted onto each page as appropriate, and pinned the circles together in order with a split pin ...


 
Youngest's                   &                    Middle's


A few of the "cut & paste" maps used...







Eldest's craft, shown in full as he was - rightly - proud of his "detailed" work...















5 comments:

  1. I loved doing this with Honi a year or two ago! I must do it with Harmonie soon as she'd really enjoy this activity. I think I ended up having to make it up as well, thank you for making our life a little easier ;) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you're welcome! I've made plenty of use of your resources - happy to be able to reciprocate :) xx

      Delete
  2. Brilliant! I must try this with J! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome idea! I'm going to try this out with my two next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you made a UK version

    ReplyDelete