Tuesday, 9 September 2014

Balancing the Busy-ness

 Well this is turning into a busy term!  I'm trying to keep track of all the different groups that have started locally - we are so fortunate to live in a place with a thriving HE community, there is always something going on, and it would be very easy to take on so much that we completely overstretch ourselves!  It's such an important balance: having enough time socialising, enough time enjoying group learning, and enough time relaxing and learning at home, at our own pace (not to forget looking after the house and hedgehogs).  At the moment we have two weekly groups and one monthly group, with regular (but not scheduled) socials & playdates.  There are opportunities particularly on a Monday that I was tempted by, but we all still really benefit from keeping Mondays dedicated to PJ days.  It just seems to anchor us, having a day a week when we know we will be home with no demands.

Having said that, this week Monday was not a PJ day as it was my niece's birthday party.  The boys had a great time with friends, bouncy castle, cake etc, and once in a while it doesn't hurt to give up PJ day for a good cause.  I still wouldn't commit to anything regular on a Monday though.

Of course, yesterday's "day off" meant we didn't get maths done etc, but the boys were all up for it this morning, & they all not only completed their Mathswhizz thirty minutes, but also did their English (Eldest's workbook, Youngest's Reading Eggs and Middle's Madlibs (his choice after the workbook issues last week).  They wanted to do art next, and instead of the planned Cave Art project that I couldn't find the paper for, we did a Pop-art project instead, courtesy of Deep Space Sparkle. The lesson involved doing a repeated pattern of flowers on grass, but the boys decided they wanted to do sea-creatures instead...

Youngest's "Fish"

Middle's "Piranhas"

Eldest's "Jellyfish"

Following that we watched the second episode of "Operation Cloud Lab".  I asked if the boys wanted to watch it another day, but they were determined, so we went ahead.  That was one busy day!  A the end of the TV programme the phone went - it was someone who had found hoglets, followed by another caller with another hoglet... and then another!  So my day got distinctly busier, but the boys' day became less so.  So I am writing this finally at 10.45pm, about to head for bed now I have finished the last item on today's "to-do list": write in my blog!  Good night all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment