Monday, 2 June 2014

Too Tired to Work...

Days like today make me even more grateful for the benefits of home education.

All the local schoolkids are back at school, hopefully having had a nice week off.  At the end of last week I had thought that today being a 'Pyjama Day' at home, we might finish off our Roman studies by making a timeline that I had been working on, and doing some more mosiacs, requested by the boys.  However, we had a really busy time this weekend - drove to beautiful Bourton-on-the-Water for an explore, then to a local motel (where the boys were too excited to sleep well).  On Sunday I was in Tewkesbury all day for a wild hedgehog first aid course, while the boys and Daddy visited family, then explored a local National Trust venue.  We got home at 8pm, and the boys were overtired so took over an hour to go to sleep.

Consequently today is a T-I-R-E-D day!  They all woke up when they were ready - none of them would have been in time for school - I dread to think what prising them out of bed would have been like.  All have been mooching around.  I had thought of putting Mathswhizz on the computers, but it just feels mean: they wouldn't be able to concentrate.  Mid morning I got out the cards that I had put aside to make the timeline with, but they had absolutely no mental energy or enthusiasm, and I asked myself why I was pursuing it when they were obviously so tired.  A couple of years ago I would probably have pushed them further, simply because I had it planned in my head - and probably ended up with a lot of complaining, arguing, and not a lot of "work" achieved.  Happily now I have a bit more experience under my belt, and recognised that it was purely my interest that I was imposing on them.  That's not necessarily a bad thing in itself, but on days like today it would NOT have been a recipe for success or fun.  So we ditched it, along with the mosaic plans.  I'm not sure when we'll get to do it, but it doesn't matter: today was NOT the day!

Incidentally, this works well for me as my back is grumbling a little after a whole day with lots of sitting (at a desk & in the car etc) - and it means I can spend some time with the boys watching our garden for the fledgling blue tits who couldn't wait and left the nest box as soon as I wasn't watching!

So, anyway, sorry if this sounds like gloating, but I'm so glad they didn't have to go to school with their peers today: I just know it would not have gone well, even if I could have got them to school on time, let alone whether they would have been able to concentrate on their studies or had the emotional strength to behave immaculately and not come home with demerits etc.  I'm grateful that we are at home, taking the day at our natural pace - and if that means lots of snuggles, TV (they're currently watching the DVD box set of "Wild Tales"), and mooching, then that's fine by me - I'm sure normal energy levels will be resumed tomorrow, in time for lots more fun!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it lovely? I am soooo glad we don't have to do the school run anymore! We are also having a lazy day, well, J is, I am catching up on a ton of paperwork and other household jobs that never get done over the weekend! R x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray for lazy days! (even if they do end up involving more work) xx

      Delete